Apr 7, 2012

Running with my children

I have been increasing my mileage the past couple of weeks with the help of my two children, ages 8 and 10. Increasing weekly mileage can be a bit of a chore, but I have found myself enjoying the additional miles this week. I have a simple strategy.

I go out for my normal run and then pickup one, or both, of my children and run an additional two or three miles at their pace. It has helped them to get in better shape for their spring sports season and it has helped me to be a better father. That time running is spent talking about school, friends and life. The miles slip by and I find myself wishing there was more time.

The art of running is not complex, but I often coach my children in small ways. I tell them to keep their arms low, avoid crossing their body, take smaller strides, run tall, etc. This makes me take notice of my own form more often and think about the simple art of running. The extra miles don't seem too tough. Not until my knees start talking to me late at night...

No comments:

Post a Comment