Jun 5, 2012

Going the Distance

If you want to be a better runner, you need to run more. This is the conclusion that I have arrived at after comparing my race performances over the last 18 months. It seems that if I run 30-40 miles per week I perform much better at all distances between 5K and 13.1 miles.

This spring I decided to follow a plan that had me running higher speeds and less overall mileage. I was running 400 meter repeats and 3-5 mile tempo runs. My speed did improve, but my overall performance did not. I was running out of steam before I hit the 2 mile mark.

Some of this may be due to the fact that I am a masters runner looking 42 right in the face. I know my times will not necessarily get faster unless I train smarter. As much as I'd like to think my energy levels will allow me to sustain a 5:50 pace for 3.1 on guts alone, sadly that is no longer the case.

After bumping my mileage from the 20s into the mid 30s I immediately noticed that my track workouts improved. I am going to continue into the 40s over the next two weeks and see what the impact is. I know I should follow the 10% rule, but who really has time for that? I'll listen to my body and react when necessary. Fingers crossed...

Next week looks something like this:

Sunday- 10 miles
Monday- 5 miles
Tuesday- 5 miles Tempo
Wednesday- 3 miles
Thursday- 5x800 w/ 400 jog
Friday- 8 miles
Saturday- rest

Total Mileage: 35

No comments:

Post a Comment