Jun 12, 2012

Hit the trails

I've been trying to balance my road running with a bit of trail running and track workouts. The results have been spectacular in terms of keeping engaged and motivated to run each day. The same handful of road routes can become really mundane after a few months.

Changing routine has many physical benefits as well. I have noticed muscles in my lower legs have been called to action on the trails and muscles in my upper legs and torso have been recruited for the speed  work. In addition, the changes in speed seem to address different muscle groups which allows for additional mileage.

It is really nice to be on the trails. I wish I had access closer to home, but it is worth a quick ride to find a place to run without the noise, fumes and danger of traffic. Running has always been a great way to disconnect and unwind. Trail running makes it even easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment